2020 Yamaha MT-07
The Yamaha MT-07 is a very interesting motorcycle, especially in its 2020 model. Using an irregular interval firing parallel twin-engine, power is very decent for a near-700 CC engine at 74 crank HP with 50 lbs-ft of torque from low to mid-range on the revs, even earning the nickname “The Master of Torque” from riders. The biggest innovation in the MT-07 engine is the 270-degree crankshaft, which produces a very nice, nearly cruiser style burble from the exhaust at idle.
The MT-07 has very quickly become known as a very stable daily rider. One of the most important things towards that is that instead of a vertical spring for the rear, it uses a horizontal suspension that brings the center of gravity lower, as well as making the wheelbase shorter than its two bigger brothers in the MT-10 and the MT-09. As well, like all models in the MT range, it has traction control, dual-zone ABS, and Yamaha QuickShift.
The Yamaha MT–07 starts at $7,599 US/$8,499 CA.
On this page: we’ve curated specs, features, news, photos/videos, etc. so you can read up on the new Yamaha MT-07 in one place.
- Price: $7,599 US / $8,499 CA
- Key Features:
- Yamaha Quick Shift
- Traction Control
- Engine type: 689cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke
- Power: 74 hp
- Wet weight: 403 lb
- Seat height: 31.7 in
2020 Yamaha MT-07 Specifications
|Engine||689cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke; 8 valves|
|Bore x Stroke||80.0mm x 68.6mm|
|Fuel System||Fuel injection|
|Clutch||Wet Multiplate clutch|
|Suspension Front||41mm telescopic fork; 5.1-in travel|
|Suspension Rear||Single shock, adjustable preload, and rebound damping; 5.1-in travel|
|Brakes Front||Dual 282mm hydraulic disc; ABS|
|Brakes Rear||245mm hydraulic disc; ABS|
|Tires Front||120/70 ZR 17|
|Tires Rear||180/55 ZR 17|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||14 L (3.7 US gal.)|
|Color||Ice Fluo, Matte Raven Black|
|Ignition||TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition|
|Wheelbase||55.1 in (1400 mm)|
|Ground Clearance||5.5 in (140 mm)|
|Seat Height||31.7 in (805 mm)|
|Curb Weight||403 lbs (183 kg)|
|Warranty||1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)|
2020 Yamaha MT-07 Features
- Slim, compact, 689 cc, DOHC, 4-valve, liquid-cooled, 20-degree inclined, inline twin-cylinder engine.
The engine has been tuned to provide plenty of low & mid-range torque with very linear throttle response. This engine produces approximately 75 hp & 50 ft-lbs. of torque and is designed to maximize riding fun in the real world.
- 4-valve, downdraft-style combustion chamber with 11.5:1 compression ratio.
- excellent torque output in the low-to-mid rpm range
- 4-valve design maximizes flow into & out of combustion chamber
- 31.5 mm intake & 26.5 mm exhaust valves
- stainless steel valves feature an Isonite surface treatment & carburized tips for excellent durability & wear resistance
- 42,000 km-valve adjustment intervals.
- Lightweight hollow camshafts.
- cam profiles & timing accentuate the low-to-mid-range torque & power in the most commonly used rpm range (3,000 to 6,500 rpm).
- excellent rideability with linear throttle response
- CP3 “CrossPlane Concept” 270-degree crankshaft with an uneven firing order.
- design reduces inertia torque while emphasizing linear torque
- design has been optimized to achieve strong torque over a broad rpm range
- Lightweight, gear-driven “coupling force balancer” reduces engine vibration for excellent comfort.
- Fracture split connecting rods feature a “nutless” design.
- lower end “cap” of the rod is made from the same piece of material as the upper portion; the 2 pieces are “split” apart using a special fracturing process & then precision machined
- design aids in establishing true big end roundness & greater precision in con rod dimensions for excellent durability despite the horsepower loads
- Lightweight, forged, aluminum short skirt pistons.
- lightweight design aids in fast engine response
- reduces mechanical vibration for excellent durability
- Direct ceramic composite plated cylinder uses “liner less” bores.
- ceramic coating is sprayed directly on the aluminum block, eliminating the liner & reducing weight
- excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery
- coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder & piston, reducing friction & increasing power
- Offset cylinder design.
- cylinder is “offset” relative to the crank (toward exhaust side)
- reduces frictional losses between the pistons & cylinder wall during the power stroke for improved power output & excellent fuel economy
- One-piece cylinder & upper crankcase assembly.
- superior engine & chassis rigidity (engine is a stressed member increasing chassis rigidity)
- design reduces weight
- “Closed-loop” 38 mm Mikuni throttle body fuel injection system.
- system uses throttle position sensor (TPS) & idle speed controller (ISC)
- 12-hole injectors for optimum fuel atomization
- system is “tuned” to provide excellent rideability & linear throttle control.
- closed-loop system” uses an oxygen sensor to “sniff” spent exhaust & automatically adjust the fuel / air ratio for reduced emissions
- Compact Electronic Control Unit (ECU).
- utilizes a powerful 32-bit processor for fast control of the injection & ignition processes
- Airbox design features dual intakes.
- design reduces intake noise
- viscous paper type air filter is utilized
- Compact, 6-speed transmission.
- Tri-axis design “stacks” input/output shafts to centralize mass
- overall engine size is shorter front to back allowing the engineers the freedom to place the engine in the frame for optimum front to rear weight balance
- transmission ratios are designed to suit the character (torque & power) of the engine
- specially chosen gear ratios means fewer gear changes
- 6th gear is an over drive gear reducing engine rpms at highway speeds for a comfortable ride
- Compact, clutch design with light clutch lever pull.
- Lightweight, vertical flow flat radiator with ring type cooling fan.
- ring type cooling fan pulls more air than a conventional non-ring type design
- left & right rad covers add a stylish highlight
- Liquid-cooled oil cooler.
- maintains consistent lubricant temperatures for extended engine life
- Convenient spin-on type oil filter & easy access drain plug.
- for fast, easy oil changes
- Convenient oil level sight glass.
- Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI).
- produces a strong spark for fast starts
- provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
- High performance direct ignition coils (ignition coils are built into the spark plug caps).
- reduces weight & complexity
- AC Magneto produces 410 watts of power @ 5,000rpm.
- Stylish, compact, low mounted, 2 into 1 exhaust system.
- triple expansion muffler design with 3-way honeycomb catalyzer reduces exhaust emissions
- low mounted design centralizes mass for excellent handling & a light weight feeling
- Air Injection System (AIS… not ram air) injects fresh air into exhaust ports to fully burn any unburnt fuel, further reducing exhaust emissions.
- Diamond-type, high tensile steel frame.
- optimized rigidity balance for light, agile handling & excellent stability
- engine is a stressed member of the chassis, allowing a lighter, more compact main frame
- Upright, comfortable riding position is a key feature of the MT-07.
- excellent all day rider comfort
- Key chassis geometry figures include:
- 1400 mm (55.1″) wheelbase
- 24.5 degrees of rake & 90 mm of trail
- front/rear weight distribution is 49.2% front & 50.8% rear
- lean angle is 49 degrees, highlighting the sporty nature of the MT-07
- chassis dimensions & design centralizes mass & lowers centre of gravity for light, agile handling
- Lightweight, high tensile steel “gull wing” type short design swingarm.
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for superior suspension performance
- excellent rear wheel traction & control
- Revised, 41 mm conventional fork offers 130 mm (5.1″) of wheel travel.
- new spring rate & damping force settings for improved suspension performance & comfort
- oil level & amount have been optimized
- Lightweight, aluminum upper & lower triple clamps.
- Adjustable link-type Monocross rear suspension with 130 mm (5.1″) of wheel travel.
- new, horizontally mounted rear shock now includes both rebound & spring preload adjustability
- adjustments allow the rider to tailor settings to match rider weight, load & riding conditions
- ABS equipped dual 282 mm floating wave-style front discs & ultra-rigid 4-piston monoblock calipers.
- excellent stopping power & control with good lever feedback
- ABS equipped 245 mm wave-style rear disc is squeezed by a lightweight single piston slide-type Nissin caliper.
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS).
- controlling ECU & hydraulic unit are combined into a single compact unit to reduce weight & centralize mass
- when ABS system senses impending wheel lock-up (via active type wheel sensors) it regulates hydraulic braking pressure to the point just before the wheel or wheels lock-up
- ABS benefits include excellent control under hard braking or when braking on wet, slippery or loose surfaces
- Lightweight, cast-aluminum 10-spoke wheels.
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for excellent suspension & handling characteristics
- front rim size is MT3.50-17 & rear rim size is MT5.50-17
- Conventional handlebar design.
- combines with the upright riding position to provide excellent all day riding comfort
- conventional design means the handlebar can be easily changed to a different “bend” if desired
- 14-litre fuel tank with new, more stylish replaceable covers.
- slim design with great knee grip
- slim design combines with low seat height for a light, agile feel & increased rider confidence
- reserve portion of the tank is 2.7 litres (low fuel light illuminates)
- steel tank covered by easy-to-replace plastic panels, significantly reducing costs in the event of damage
- Larger, more stylish, separate rider & passenger seats. Rider seat height is 805 mm (31.7″).
- excellent comfort & support
- rear seat can be removed & replaced by optional Genuine Yamaha Accessory rear seat cowl
- Compact, LCD multi-function digital meter.
- functions (all digital) include: bar-style tachometer, digital speedometer, odometer, dual trip meters, fuel gauge, fuel reserve trip meter (counts kilometers since fuel went on reserve), clock, gear indicator, instant & average fuel consumption, intake air temperature & coolant temperature
- full range of warning & indicator lights
- background illumination is adjustable
- Compact handlebar switch gear.
- starting function is integrated into the engine kill switch
- passing high beam flash button is provided
- One piece, multi-reflector 60/55 watt halogen headlight.
- Design with lower winglet enhances the naked roadster styling
- LED taillight with 24 bulbs for excellent visibility.
- 5-position adjustable front brake lever
- fold out under seat bungee cord fastener straps
- lockable steering
- durable “O” ring drive chain
- 1 piece chain guard & inner rear fender
- excessive lean angle engine cut-out switch (if unit is on its side the engine will shut down)
- low-maintenance sealed battery (battery should be charged during winter storage)
- Yamaha diagnostic tool connector can significantly reduce diagnostic time in the event of a problem
2020 Yamaha MT-07 Photos
2020 Yamaha MT-07 Videos