2015 BMW R 1200 RS Announced
In addition to the new 2015 BMW R 1200 R (Preview), BMW announced it’s better-looking brother, the new R 1200 RS at the 2014 Intermot show on September 30 in Cologne.
The new BMW R 1200 RS is “a new dimension in sports touring”, according to the Bavarians.
BMW Motorrad and the legendary RS production bikes are a model badge that continues to symbolize travel and sport in equal measure.
In 1976, the R 100 RS became the first mass-produced motorcycle in the world to come with a full, frame-mounted fairing that had been developed in the wind tunnel. As the consummate all-rounder for both travelling and sporting deployment, it established the sports-tourer segment, as it has been known ever since.
With the arrival of the new R 1200 RS, BMW Motorrad is continuing this long tradition by unveiling a sports-tourer powered by a flat-twin engine that succeeds in transposing the all-round qualities of the original BMW RS concept into the modern day to stunning effect.
Highlights of the New BMW R 1200 RS
- Classic flat-twin boxer engine with 125 HP (92 kW) at 7,750 RPM and 92 ft. lbs. of torque (125 Nm) at 6,500 RPM.
- Sporty and dynamic sports tourer design.
- Aerodynamically styled semi-fairing with adjustable windshield.
- Torsionally rigid tubular steel bridge frame with engine as self-supporting element.
- Classic wheel suspension concept using upside-down telescopic fork at the front and EVO Paralever at the rear.
- New intake air duct and central radiator for ultra-compact front silhouette.
- Upright, sporty yet relaxed seating position for a dynamic riding sensation combined with excellent seating comfort for longer tours.
- Exhaust system in pentagonal design.
- Automatic Stability Control (ASC).
- Rain and Road riding modes.
- Riding mode Pro offering two additional riding modes, “Dynamic” and “User”, for optimum adaptation to prevailing riding conditions as an ex-works option.
- Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) as part of the Riding mode Pro option.
- Latest-generation Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) as an option for optimum riding dynamics in any situation.
- Powerful braking system with radial four-piston calipers and ABS.
- Lightweight 10-spoke cast wheels.
- Gear Shift Assistant Pro for fast, clutchless shifting as an ex-works option.
- Sophisticated instrument cluster offering a wide array of functions and wealth of information.
- Keyless Ride for supreme ease of use as an ex-works option.
- Innovative color scheme with two individual characters, classically sporty in the basic colors and sporty and exclusive in the Style 2 variant.
- Extensive range of optional extras and special accessories available ex-works.
Pricing and Availability
Pricing TBD. The BMW R1200RS will be available starting in Spring 2015.
More: 2015 BMW Motorcycles Preview | wBW BMW Motorcycles Page
Owner Comments and Feedback
See details on submitting comments.