The Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Triumph Press Release January 2000
The Thunderbird Sport promises a great deal with its classic flat track styling emphasized by its striking color options and finished to perfection with its pair of reverse cone silencers stacked one above the other on the right-hand side.
It lives up to that promise thanks to a chassis which has been described by many testers as the best handling of a Hinckley Triumph aside from the Supersport T500 series.
Compared with the Thunderbird from which the Sport is derived, the suspension has a longer travel.
The wheels front and rear are a sportier 17 inch diameter (compared with 18 and 16 inches front and rear).
And the front brake is uprated to twin disc specification from single disc.
In addition, to help riders take advantage of the enhanced ability of the cycle parts, the engine is upgraded over the Thunderbird.
It produces 83PS (82bhp) and 76Nm (56lb.ft) compared with 70PS (69bhp) and 72Nm (53lb.ft).
The result is a classically styled machine in authentic Triumph tradition with the ability to perform very much as modern riders expect and enjoy.
New Features for 1999
1. Longer side stand to hold the bike in a more upright stance and make it easier to lift the bike into the fully upright position when starting off.
2. Shorter, color matched mudguards, for improved looks.
Key Features of the Thunderbird Sport
- Proven 885cc liquid-cooled 3-cylinder engine with DOHC, 12 valves, modified from the Thunderbird.
- Low maintenance bucket and shim valve train.
- Black powder coated engine for long term durability, with classic styling and polished cylinder fins.
- Low maintenance hydraulic clutch operation.
- Classic sports style perforated airbox covers.
- Digital electronic ignition for precise combustion control.
- Smooth shifting 6-speed transmission to maximize engine performance.
- Stainless steel exhaust headers with bright chrome finish for durability and good looks.
- Chrome reverse cone megaphone silencers stacked one above the other on right hand side for unique, traditional Triumph appeal.
- Lightweight, powder coated steel spine frame using engine as structural member.
- Anodized oval section aluminum alloy swingarm.
- Rising rate monoshock rear suspension with remote preload adjustment, adjustable compression (15 way) and rebound (10 way) damping. 43mm cartridge forks with triple rate springs, preload adjustment and adjustable compression (15 way) and rebound (12 way) damping.
- Wide aluminum rimmed spoked wheels fitted with sports radial tires.
- Stainless steel braided front brake line. 4 way adjustable front brake and clutch levers.
- Leather effect seat with embossed Triumph logo.
- Classically-styled instrumentation including: speedometer with odometer, trip meter, tachometer, with warning lights for turn signals, main beam, oil pressure, low fuel, engine temperature and neutral.
- Hazard warning lights. Hand finished coachlines. Chromed cast tank badge.
- Teardrop fuel tank with 15 litre (3.3 gal Imp, 3.8 gal US) capacity.
Racing Yellow with Jet Black infill and Silver coachlining; Tornado Red with Jet Black infill and Silver coachlining
- Aftermarket silencer.
- Tank bag.
- Integrated alarm
- Front mudguard extension kit
- Fork protector kit
- Leather seat
- King and Queen seat
- Color coordinated fly screen
- Single seat conversion
- Center stand
- Wide range of chromed accessories, including grabrails, sissy bars and luggage racks
- Range of screens
- Range of tank pads
Triumph Thunderbird Sport Specifictions
- Engine Type: Liquid-cooled, DOHC, in-line 3 cylinder
- Capacity: 885cc
- Bore/stroke: 76 x 65mm
- Compression ratio 10:1
- Fuel system 3 x 36mm flat slide CV carburetors
- Transmission: Primary drive Gear Clutch Wet, multi-plate Gearbox 6-speed
- Electrics: Ignition Digital-inductive type
- Headlight Single 12V 60/55W halogen H4
- Cycle parts: Frame Micro alloyed high tensile tubular steel
- Swingarm: Aluminum alloy
- Wheels Front: alloy 36-spoke, 17″ x 3.5″ Rear: alloy 40-spoke, 17″ x 4.25″
- Tires Front: 120/70 x 17 Rear: 160/60 x 17
- Suspension: Front: 43mm cartridge forks with triple rate springs, adjustable for preload, compression and rebound damping; Rear: rising rate monoshock with adjustable preload, compression and rebound damping.
- Brakes Front: 2 x 310mm discs, 2-piston calipers
- Rear: 285mm disc, 2-piston caliper
- Length 2250mm (88.5in)
- Width 700mm (27.6in)
- Height 1105mm (43.5in)
- Seat height 790mm (31.1in)
- Wheelbase 1580mm (62.2in)
- Weight (dry) 224kg (494lb)
Performance (to DIN 70020)
- Maximum power 83PS (82bhp) at 8,500rpm
- Maximum torque 76Nm (56lb.ft) at 6,500rpm
- Maximum revs 8,750rpm
- 6000 miles
- Warranty 2 years unlimited mileage.
Other WebBikeWorld Articles Posts