Skully Fenix AR motorcycle helmets with built-in head-up display have finally hit the market.
It’s a long way from traditionalists who enjoy simple skull helmets.
The new Fenix AR replaces the defunct Skully AR-1 which infamously crashed in July 2016 after the founders blew their $US2.4m crowd funding on fast cars and fast women.
The new company, Skully Technologies, run by brothers Ivan and Rafael Contreras, announced it would “make it right” and deliver on the promises of the original company.
And now they have, with Ivan joining a video conference from Madrid as the first helmet was handed over.
Marketing director Diane Maier confirms that original investors who paid more than $US1200 would have their orders fulfilled.
She says there were “some original contributors” from Australia and New Zealand.
They will receive the updated version of the AR-1, called the Fenix AR.
The original Skully AR-1 helmet featured a head-up display (HUD) in a small periphery screen to show information such as speed, navigation and more.
It was priced at $US1499 (about $A1890), but few were made and delivered before the company went bankrupt.
Updated Fenix AR helmet
The new Fenix AR helmet costs $US1899 (about $A2600) and features a rear view camera, heads-up display, in helmet turn-by-turn navigation, connected audio and smart voice controls.
They have a carbonfibre shell and emergency quick release straps, anti-fog visor and there will be a “raw” carbon version as well.
However, it is currently only DOT certified for the American market.
The Skully Fenix AR will only be distributed to new customers in the US. Future Skully AR models will be made available globally “as we scale”, says Diane.
“I do not have a firm date yet on when we will be ECE certified,” she told us.
Letter to previous Skully contributors
Skully Technologies sent a letter about a year ago to those investors in the failed Skully project.
Here is the full text of that letter:
In our previous email you were informed that the assets of Skully, Inc., have been acquired by Ivan Contreras and Rafael Contreras, successful businessmen in a variety of global turnaround industrial and technology ventures, and named the new company Skully Technologies.
Skully Technologies is unrelated to the former Skully, Inc., which filed for bankruptcy and is no longer in business.
Many people who paidkully, Inc., for a Skully AR-1 helmet were extremely disappointed when they found out that Skully, Inc., shut their doors and could not fulfil their order.
As you now know, SkullyTechnologies intends on fulfilling Skully’s destiny and is bringing the Skully helmet back. As a part of this effort we want to make it right with those of you who have contributed toward an original Skully helmet and never received one.
We would like to give you the opportunity to receive one of our new Skully Fenix helmets, an improved version of the Skully AR-1 which will begin shipping the summer of 2018.
We call this our Make It Right campaign.
We intend to honour your original contribution based on the criteria outlined below. The process is easy. Here is how it works:
- Any Skully enthusiast who contributed more than $1200 for a Skully helmet on Indiegogo can register on our V.I.P. page, which will go live at 10am EST on October 16, 2017, for a new Skully Fenix helmet to be delivered on a first-come-first-served basis from the Make It Right production allotment.
- Any Skully enthusiast who contributed $499 in a Skully helmet on Indiegogo can register on our V.I.P. page, which will go live at 10am EST on October 16, 2017, to complete their purchase of a new Skully Fenix helmet to be delivered on a first-come-first-served basis from the Make It Right production allotment for an additional $949 due at shipping.
- Any Skully enthusiast who contributed $49 for Skully gear on Indiegogo can register on our V.I.P. page, which will go live at 10am EST on October 16, 2017, to receive a hat, shirt and decals on a first-come-first-served basis from the Make It Right production allotment.
- Any Skully enthusiast who pre-ordered a Skully helmet on the Skully, Inc. website can register on our V.I.P. page, which will go live at 10am EST on October 16, 2017, to receive a new Skully Fenix helmet on a first-come-first-served basis from the Make It Right production allotment.
- Make it Right campaign registration will be available on our V.I.P. page at www.skullytechnologies.com/vip/makeitrightcampaign beginning at 10am EST on October 16, 2017.
- Registration will require full name and address, original contribution date or order date, amount contributed, proof of contribution, email, helmet size and color.
- Skully Technologies will review and approve the registration and confirm a priority number for the Make It Right allotment shipment schedule.
- Once the Skully Fenix production plan has been finalised, campaign participants will be notified by Skully Technologies via email on an expected shipment date based on placement in the queue.
- Registration is void if the customer received a refund of their contribution from Indiegogo, Skully, Inc., from their credit card company or in any other means.
If you have any questions please email email@example.com.