The 2022 Suzuki Katana brings some of the most notable changes the model has received since the moniker was resurrected in 2018. Updates include revisions to the engine and electronics and tweaks to the design of the modern-retro motorcycle. The new Katana debuted at EICMA last year and is one of the more premium ‘Street’ models in the 2022 Suzuki motorcycle line-up.
Powering the updated Katana is a Euro5 compliant 999cc, inline-four engine derived from the unit found on the new GSX-S1000. For 2022, this powerplant features new intake and exhaust camshaft profiles, redesigned valve springs, an updated clutch, and a new exhaust system. These updates have resulted in a 2hp bump in power — now 150hp — and a minimal drop in peak torque — down to 80lb-ft. Suzuki has mentioned that the updates result in a broader, smoother torque curve with fewer peaks and valleys.
Other updates include the addition of a new ride-by-wire system and smaller 40mm electronic throttle bodies in place of the 44mm mechanical units on the previous model. These updates have allowed this Japanese company to improve the electronics on the Katana, namely the Suzuki Drive Mode Selector system, which now comes with three selectable throttle maps. For 2022, a bi-directional quick-shifter, five-level traction control, and slipper clutch are standard equipment.
The 2022 Suzuki Katana features no changes to the chassis and retains the same suspension and braking hardware as its predecessor. However, it has changed the colors of the wheels, fork tubes, rear shock spring, and seat.
Suzuki has not updated its U.S. website with details on pricing or availability when writing this.
The 2022 Suzuki Katana starts at $USD TBA / $17,199 CAD.
On this page:we’ve curated specs, features, news, photos/videos, etc. so you can read up on the new 2022 Suzuki Katana in one place.
Price: TBA (USD) / $17,199 CAD
Updated, more-powerful, 999cc, inline-four engine
Five-level traction control and bi-directional quickshifter as standard
Metallic Mat Stellar Blue (YUA) / Solid Iron Gray (YUD)
Electronic ignition (transistorized)
2,125 mm (83.7 in.)
830 mm (32.7 in.)
1,110 mm (43.7 in.)
140 mm (5.5 in.)
1,460 mm (57.5 in.)
825 mm (32.5 in.)
215 kg (474.0 lbs.)
2022 Suzuki Katana Features
– The KATANA’s iconic style lives in a new sportbike with modern style, stellar engine performance, nimble handling, and great ergonomics.
– The vertically stacked LED headlight, featuring a distinctive light beam and unique, rectangular shape, is flanked by LED position lights and turn signals that maximize the KATANA’s visibility and accentuate its angular styling.
– Fuel-injected, 999cm³, GSX-R-based engine features a throttle control mechanism that smooths the power delivery for a stimulating sportbike experience.
– The KATANA employs the Suzuki Intelligent Ride System (S.I.R.S.), collection of the latest electronic systems developed to assist you and help you optimize performance characteristics to match your changing riding needs and preferences. These include the Suzuki Drive Mode Selector (SDMS), Suzuki Traction Control System (STSC), Ride-by-Wire Electronic Throttle System, Bi-directional Quick Shift System, Suzuki Easy Start System, and Low RPM Assist.
– A comfortable riding position combines with rubber-mounted floating handlebars that smooth out the feeling of the ride to maximize rider comfort while minimizing fatigue.
– The LCD multifunction instrument panel features a distinctive appearance and display format exclusive to the KATANA.
– The KATANA is powered by a 112kW powerplant featuring performance and durability that benefits from know-how acquired over decades of successful production racing, and from technologies developed for MotoGP racing.
– This long-stroke engine provides smooth throttle response and immediate, controlled acceleration. The result is exciting and satisfying performance with characteristics that make it easy for the rider to control.
– The 999cm³ liquid-cooled, DOHC, inline-four engine has ventilation holes between the cylinders to reduce pumping loss within the crankcase so the engine can deliver more power and torque.
– The profiles of the dual overhead camshafts were designed to enhance street performance, optimize emissions performance and achieve an excellent overall balance of performance and controllability, particularly at low- to mid-range speeds.
– Aluminum pistons, engineered with use of Finite Element Method (FEM) analysis, are cast for optimal rigidity and low weight.
– Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM)–coated cylinders integrated into the upper crankcase reduce friction and improve heat transfer and durability.
– The KATANA’s electronic throttle bodies help achieve a fine balance between idling speed control and power output characteristics for enhanced drivability, controllable behavior when accelerating out of corners, and an overall exciting riding experience, while also contributing to Euro 5 emissions standards compliance.
– The electronic fuel injection system’s four long-nosed 10-hole fuel injectors optimize fuel atomization, while automatic Idle Speed Control (ISC) improves cold starting and stabilizes the engine idle.
– The digital ignition fires iridium-type spark plugs for high spark strength and combustion efficiency that results in higher peak power, more linear throttle response, easier engine start-up, and a stable idle. These quality components also last longer than conventional spark plugs.
– The blacked-out, stainless steel 4-2-1 exhaust system helps the engine deliver a strong low- to mid-range punch with an exciting rush to redline. Tuned to help deliver maximum overall performance while satisfying Euro 5 emission standards, the system features a two-stage catalytic converter system and pleasing exhaust sound that produces a luxurious note the instant the engine is started, but does not disturb the rider while on the road.
– Located in the mid-pipe, the Suzuki Exhaust Tuning (SET) valve controls flow into the catalytic converter and exhaust chamber to balance performance and emissions control. The exhaust chamber location aids in mass centralization for excellent chassis balance.
– The Suzuki Traction Control System (STCS)* helps you control the throttle with more confidence in various riding conditions. There are 5 modes (plus an OFF setting) you can easily select between when stopped or on the fly via a handlebar-mounted control. Designed to immediately limit power and help prevent slipping when an imminent loss of traction is detected, STCS instills greater conﬁdence, regardless of your experience, while reducing stress and fatigue. The higher number the mode, the faster the control takes effect and the more proactive the system is in limiting wheel spin. The OFF setting disengages all traction control features, leaving you fully responsible for the engine’s output to the rear wheel.
– The KATANA’s bodywork allows cooling air to flow directly into the high-capacity curved radiator. Additional heat is removed from the engine via the use of a lightweight and compact liquid-cooled oil cooler (like those used on the supersport GSX-R models).
– The KATANA’s track-proven 6-speed close-ratio transmission features vertically staggered shafts to reduce overall engine length. This permits the use of a GSX-R-style twin-spar frame.
– The Suzuki Clutch Assist System (SCAS) increases clamping pressure under acceleration, yet acts as a slipper clutch to smooth the engine response during engine braking and corner entry.
– This large-diameter, wet multi-plate clutch uses a precise cable-activated release, providing you with superb friction-point feel.
– Suzuki’s Bi-directional Quick Shift System provides quicker, smoother, more assured upshifts and downshifts without operating the clutch lever.
– Suzuki Drive Mode Selector (SDMS) offers a selection of three different output maps that match performance to riding conditions, surface conditions, or preferred riding style.
– The ride-by-wire electronic throttle control system delivers natural response and linear control matched to each of the SDMS modes.
– The transmission’s shift linkage helps the rider easily and quickly select the best gear for the riding conditions.
– The strong, RK-supplied drive chain uses O-rings to preserve internal lubrication so power is transmitted smoothly and quietly.
* The Traction Control System is not a substitute for the rider’s throttle control, and traction control cannot prevent loss of traction due to excessive speed when entering turns, or while braking, and it does not control front wheel traction.
– The KATANA’s monocoque-style bodywork has design cues from the legendary 1982 KATANA and boasts a modern look that highlights the bike’s chassis and running gear.
– Engineered to be agile and fun to ride, the KATANA’s lightweight and compact chassis has an ergonomically comfortable and sporty riding position.
– The KATANA’s nimble handling ability begins with its lightweight and rigid twin-spar aluminum main frame coupled with the superbike-style braced aluminum swingarm.
– Extending from the swingarm is a satellite rear fender that hugs the tire and holds the license plate mount and light and turn signals. The KATANA’s satellite rear fender, a first on a Suzuki sportbike, eliminates parts that normally extend from under the seat to give the tail section cleaner lines and a tougher, lighter look.
– The 43mm inverted KYB forks have adjustable compression and rebound damping, and spring preload with a generous 120 mm of front wheel travel.
– The link-type monoshock rear suspension is tuned for a superb progressive feel and to deliver an agile and stable feel. It features seven-way adjustable spring preload, as well as rebound damping force adjustment.
– Dual front brakes with fully floating 310mm discs and Brembo radial mount monobloc calipers with four 32mm opposed pistons provide strong and consistent stopping power. The master cylinder and brake hoses were designed to improve stopping performance while providing a better feel at the lever.
– The front brakes are complemented by a 240mm rear disc brake with a Nissin single-piston caliper to help assure controlled stopping.
– Both the front and rear brakes are modulated by a compact Antilock Brake System (ABS)** controller that matches stopping force to the available traction.
– Six-spoke lightweight cast aluminum wheels supplied by ENKEI are shod with Dunlop ROADSPORT 2 tubeless radial tires (120/70ZR17 front and 180/50ZR17 rear). With an inner structure designed exclusively for the Suzuki KATANA, the tires provide ﬁrm grip and controllable tracking.
– The large diameter, matte black, tapered aluminum handlebars have a special rise and bend unique to the KATANA that help contribute to the exceptional riding ergonomics. The floating design, with rubber mounts between the top bridge and handlebar brackets, reduces the amount of vibration transmitted to the rider’s hands, contributing to greater comfort and reduced rider fatigue.
– The KATANA’s reasonable sport riding position, set by the rider’s reach to the handlebars plus the distance between the seat and footpegs, is as comfortable as it gets in this class.
– The relatively low 825mm seat height combines with the shape of the seat and how it blends into the fuel tank to allow the rider to plant their feet firmly on the ground at stops.
– The rear portion of the seat provides good passenger accommodations with its large base, ample foam, grab strap and height, which offers a good view over the rider’s shoulder.
– The black finish on the shifter, rear brake, and both hand levers matches the performance nature of the KATANA.
** ABS is not designed to shorten the braking distance. ABS cannot prevent wheel skidding caused by braking while cornering. Please ride carefully and do not overly rely on ABS.
– The KATANA is equipped with Suzuki’s Easy Start System that requires just a simple touch of the starter button to fire up the engine (without pulling the clutch lever if the transmission is in neutral).
– The fairing houses a vertically stacked LED headlight that has a unique, rectangular shape. To the sides of the headlight are LED position lights that maximize the KATANA’s visibility to other traffic while accentuating the angular styling.
– Mounted outboard of the radiator are the front LED turn signals that have clear lenses with amber illumination.
– The LED tail light is mounted high at the back of the seat for excellent visibility and in key with the bike’s clean, trim tail section.
– The KATANA’s satellite rear fender houses the LED license plate illumination lamp and the rear LED turn signals.
– The LCD multifunction instrument panel has a distinctive appearance and display format that is exclusive to the KATANA. The panel’s amber backlighting creates a unique contrast that clearly displays the lettering against the black background when riding at night, but that looks white when riding in daylight to maintain clear visibility of the displayed information.
– The LCD panel displays a digital speedometer, bar-style tachometer, odometer, dual trip meters, gear position, coolant temperatures, driving range, average fuel consumption, instantaneous fuel consumption, riding range, traction control level, plus a lap-timer and clock.
– The panel has LED indicators for the turn signals, high beam, neutral position, traction control, shift alert lights, electronic fuel injection system alert, and ABS alert icons, plus coolant temperature and oil pressure alerts.
– A variety of Genuine Suzuki Accessories are available for the KATANA, such as a Meter visor, Fuel tank pad, Wheel rim decals, and more are available, plus a large selection of logo apparel.