A British man facing multiple charges involving a fatal crash with two motorcycles on Monday (2 September 2019) was an unlicensed driver in a rental car.
Graham Belcher, 52, of Britain, was arrested at Brisbane International Airport yesterday (3 September 2019) at 2am as he was about to board a flight to Hong Kong.
He will appear in Tweed Heads Local Court today.
NSW Police will allege his rental car was involved in the crash at the intersection of Riverside Drive and Tweed Valley Way in Tumbulgum (pictured above) near Tweed Heads, about 3.20pm on Monday.
Scott Rose, 39, died at the scene and the other male rider was taken to Tweed Heads Hospital with minor injuries.
The driver of the vehicle failed to stop.
NSW Police have successfully applied for his extradition in Brisbane Magistrates Court yesterday.
He appeared in Tweed Heads Local Court this morning charged with an outstanding warrant, as well as:
- dangerous driving occasioning death – drive manner dangerous;
- fail to stop and assist after vehicle impact causing death;
- negligent driving (occasioning death);
- cause bodily harm by misconduct in charge of motor vehicle;
- drive while licence cancelled;
- not give way to vehicle (give way sign/line); and
- driver fails/refuses to disclose his identity.
Bail was refused and he was remanded in custody until November 20.
His arrest was a joint operation involving the Crash Investigation Unit, Traffic and Highway Patrol Command, Tweed Byron Police District officers, Australian Federal Police, Australian Border Force and Queensland Police.
Police had appealed for the public’s assistance to locate the Hyundai with Queensland registration 170-ZCP.
It was found late yesterday in Terranora and seized for examination.
Inquiries into the events leading up to the crash are continuing.
Anyone with information about this incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence. The public is reminded not to report crime via NSW Police social media pages.
- Our condolences to the deceased rider’s family and friends and our best wishes to the other rider for a quick and full recovery.