Our experience with CMS Helmets has been very positive.
This small Portuguese company offers high-quality helmets like the CMS GP-4 full-face helmet we reviewed some time ago, which was one of the lightest full-face helmets we’ve ever worn.
CMS is a fairly well known name in Europe but they’re not well known in the North American market, and that’s a shame. The helmets offer European design, style and build quality at very competitive prices.
They sent us one of their new XR-7 motocross helmets shown here, along with their new D-Jet helmet (see our First Look), both in size medium.
Unfortunately, we have evaluators who take an XS, L and XL, but no medium sized heads, so we haven’t been able to run a full webBikeWorld evaluation on these helmets, but everything we can see indicates high quality.
The North American importer and distributor, Moto Authentics, has announced that the XR-7 and the XR-7 will both be available some time this Spring, and we hope to get one for a full review.
The size medium XR-7 shown here weighs 1463 grams (3 lbs., 3-5/8 oz.). It has a different liner than the D-Jet; the liner on the XR-7 is a very comfortable, silvery smooth fabric, befitting its off-road purpose. The helmet’s padding seems nice and thick.
Just as we found on the D-Jet, the finish and the paint on the XR-7 are beautifully applied with no flaws that we can see. The surface finish on this helmet is covered with a UV protective clear coat.
The helmet has a straight-through chin vent and an “always open” vent on top, along with two narrow brow vents just above the eye port. There are three exhaust vents out back, and the vent holes through the EPS foam liner are large, so they should flow a large amount of air.
The sun peak is attached with three plastic or nylon screws and the peak seems very sturdy and it doesn’t wobble.
The chin strap on the XR-7 uses D-rings and it has a snap at the end to hold the excess length of strap.
The helmet should be available soon; Here are some of the details on the new XR-7:
- Safety: Meets ECE 22.05 and DOT standards.
- Shell: Thermoplastic Resin.
- Liner: Anti-allergenic and breathable liner.
- Colors: Ten color/graphics combinations, including Blue, Black, White and Bargy Designs graphics.
- Finish: Ultraviolet protective varnish
- Vents: Integrated chin vent and rear extractor CMS Air System
- Chin Strap: Double D-ring.
- Padding: Multi elements shock absorber H-CSA CMS Shock Absorber System. Special formula polystyrene SFP inner shell with double density CMS-manufactured D-EPS.
- Suggested Retail Price: Approx. $184.00 USD
Owner Comments and Feedback
See details on submitting comments.