The Suzuki Katana is Brand-New for the 2020 Model Year
The 2020 Suzuki Katana is a standard-class motorcycle, with comfortable ergonomics and plenty of power. Standard bikes are ideal for everyday riding.
After waiting for a few years, the Katana is back on the map with the all-new 2020 Katana. Powered by a 999cc four-cylinder engine making north of 140 horsepower, the 2020 Katana is a true instrument of speed- a trait shared with the line since it was first introduced in 1981.
The Katana can be had in one of two color schemes: Metallic Mystic Silver (YMD) and Glass Sparkle Black (YVB). Both paint jobs are aggressive and gorgeous, but the nod goes to the Black Sparkle for sheer badassery thanks to its grey and red accents.
On this page: we’ve curated specs, features, news, photos/videos, etc. so you can read up on the new Katana in one place.
- Price: Est $13,500 (USA) / $14,699 (CAN)
- Key Features:
- Anti-lock brakes (ABS)
- LED lights
- Traction control
- Engine type: 999cc inline 4-cylinder
- Power: 147 horsepower
- Wet weight: 474 lbs
- Seat height: 140 mm (32.5″)
2020 Suzuki Katana Specifications
|Engine||999cc, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, 4-cylinder, DOHC|
|Bore x Stroke||73.4 mm x 59.0 mm (2.890 in. x 2.323 in.)|
|Fuel System||Fuel injection with SDTV|
|Clutch||Wet, multi-plate type|
|Transmission||6-speed constant mesh|
|Final Drive||Chain, RK525GSH, 116 links|
|Suspension Front||Inverted telescopic, coil spring, oil damped|
|Suspension Rear||Link type, single shock, coil spring, oil damped|
|Brakes Front||Brembo, 4-piston, twin disc|
|Brakes Rear||Nissin, 1-piston, single disc|
|Tires Front||120/70ZR17M/C (58W), tubeless|
|Tires Rear||190/50ZR17M/C (73W), tubeless|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||12.0 L (3.2 US gal.)|
|Color||Metallic Mystic Silver or Solid Black|
|Ignition||Electronic ignition (transistorized)|
|Spark Plugs||NGK CR9EIA-9 or DENSO IU27D|
|Overall Length||2130 mm (83.9 in.)|
|Overall Width||835 mm (32.9 in.)|
|Overall Height||1110 mm (43.7 in.)|
|Wheelbase||1460 mm (57.6 in.)|
|Ground Clearance||140 mm (5.5 in.)|
|Seat Height||825 mm (32.5 in.)|
|Curb Weight||215 kg (474 lb.)|
|Warranty||12-month unlimited mileage limited warranty|
|Extension||Longer coverage periods with other benefits available through Suzuki Extended Protection (SEP).|
2020 Suzuki Katana Features
- The KATANA’s iconic style lives in a new sportbike with modern style, stellar engine performance, nimble handling, and great ergonomics.
- Fuel-injected, 999cc, GSX-R-based engine features a throttle control mechanism that smooths the power delivery for a stimulating sportbike experience.
- Using a design similar to the GSX-R1000R, the KATANA’s Suzuki Clutch Assist System (SCAS) drive line smooths shifting and engine braking.
- Suzuki Advanced Traction Control* lets the rider select sensitivity on the fly so engine power to the rear wheel matches road conditions.
- Twin-spar aluminum frame and fully adjustable KYB-supplied suspension deliver controlled handling.
- Dual floating front brake rotors and Brembo Monobloc brake calipers, plus an Anti-lock Brake System (ABS)*, deliver controlled stopping power. Recent refinements, such as new front brake hoses, yield improved stopping performance with better feel at the lever.
- The KATANA is powered by a 147-horsepower (110-kilowat) powerplant developed from the legendary 2005-2008 GSX-R1000 engine architecture.
- This long-stroke engine provides smooth throttle response and immediate, controlled acceleration. The result is exciting and has a satisfying performance with characteristics that make it easy for the rider to control.
- The liquid-cooled, DOHC, 999cc, inline-four engine has ventilation holes between the cylinders to reduce pumping loss within the crankcase so the engine can deliver more power and torque.
- The profiles of the dual overhead camshafts were designed to enhance street performance while preserving peak racetrack-capable power.
- Aluminum pistons, engineered with use of Finite Element Method (FEM) analysis, are cast for optimal rigidity and low weight. The piston and rings weigh 3 percent less than the similar parts in a 2007 GSX-R1000.
- Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM)–plated cylinders integrated into the upper crankcase reduce friction and improve heat transfer and durability.
- The KATANA’s EFI system uses Suzuki’s proprietary Suzuki Dual Throttle Valve (SDTV) throttle bodies, where the secondary throttle valves are controlled by a servo motor for smooth power delivery. A special throttle control mechanism was developed so engine response is smooth and controlled during spirited riding or cruising.
- The 44mm throttle bodies are the same size as the GSX-R1000R and use four long-tip, 10-hole fuel injectors to improve fuel atomization while the automatic Idle Speed Control (ISC) improves cold starting and stabilizes the engine idle.
- The digital ignition fires iridium-type spark plugs for high spark strength and combustion efficiency that results in higher peak power, more linear throttle response, easier engine start-up, and a stable idle. These quality components also last longer than conventional spark plugs.
- The blacked-out, stainless steel 4-2-1 exhaust system helps the engine deliver a strong low- to mid-range punch with an exciting rush to redline.
- The header portion of the KATANA’s exhaust includes equalizer pipes between the two outer and the two inner head pipes to fine-tune the exhaust pressure wave that results in stronger engine power.
- Located in the mid-pipe, the Suzuki Exhaust Tuning (SET) valve controls flow into the catalyzer and exhaust chamber to balance performance and emissions control. The exhaust chamber location aids in mass centralization for excellent chassis balance.
- The sculpted under-chassis muffler complements the KATANA’s unique styling and emits an exciting, distinctive sound.
- Suzuki’s Advanced Traction Control System* helps the KATANA rider control the throttle with more confidence in various riding conditions. As a result, the rider can enjoy riding with less anxiety. There are four traction control modes (1, 2, 3, and OFF) that can be easily adjusted when stopped or on the fly via a handlebar-mounted control. The difference between the modes is their sensitivity to road conditions.• Mode 1 is the lowest sensitivity level – most suitable for skilled riders or in conditions that have good road surface grip (sport riding on good, smooth roads).• Mode 2 is a moderate sensitivity level – suitable for most riders or in conditions that have varied road surface grip (city riding, regular road conditions).• Mode 3 is the highest sensitivity level – suitable for road conditions where the grip may be limited (wet or cold surfaces).• OFF disengages all traction control features. The rider is fully responsible for the engine’s output to the rear wheel.
The KATANA’s bodywork allows cooling air to flow directly into the high-capacity curved radiator. Additional heat is removed from the engine via the use of a lightweight and compact liquid-cooled oil cooler (like those used on the GSX-R models).
- The KATANA’s race-proven six-speed close-ratio transmission features vertically staggered shafts to reduce overall engine length. This permits the use of a GSX-R-style twin-spar frame.
- Similar to the components in a GSX-R1000R, the KATANA’s SCAS-style clutch increases plate pressure under acceleration, yet acts as a slipper clutch to smooth the engine response during engine braking and corner entry.
- This large-diameter, wet multi-plate clutch uses a precise cable-activated release, providing the rider with superb friction-point feel.
- The transmission’s shift linkage helps the rider easily and quickly select the best gear for the riding conditions.
- The strong, RK-supplied drive chain uses O-rings to preserve internal lubrication so power is transmitted smoothly and quietly.
- The reasonable seat height of 32.5 inches (825mm) plus the shape of the seat and how it blends into the fuel tank allow the rider to plant their feet firmly on the ground at stops.
- The rear portion of the seat provides good passenger accommodations with its large base, ample foam, grab strap, and height, which offers a good view over the rider’s shoulder.
- The black finish on the shifter, rear brake, and both hand levers matches the performance nature of the KATANA.
- The KATANA’s monocoque-style bodywork has design cues from the legendary 1982 Katana and boasts a modern look that highlights the bike’s chassis and running gear.
- Engineered to be agile and fun to ride, the KATANA’s lightweight and compact chassis has an ergonomically comfortable and sporty riding position.
- The KATANA’s nimble handling ability begins with its lightweight and rigid twin-spar aluminum main frame coupled with Superbike-style braced aluminum swingarm from the 2016 GSX-R1000.
- Extending from the swingarm is a satellite rear fender that hugs the tire and holds the license plate mount and light and turn signals. The KATANA’s satellite rear fender is first on a Suzuki sportbike as it eliminates parts that normally extend from under the seat to give the tail section cleaner lines and a tough, lighter new look.
- The 43mm inverted KYB forks have adjustable compression and rebound damping, and spring preload with a generous 120 mm (4.7 inch) of front wheel travel.
- Link-type rear suspension, with arched aluminum swingarm and a single shock absorber, features spring preload that is seven-way adjustable, with rebound damping force adjustment.
- Dual front brakes with fully floating 310mm discs and Brembo Monobloc calipers with four 32mm opposed pistons provide strong and consistent stopping power. The master cylinder and brake hoses were designed to improve stopping performance while proving better feel at the lever.
- The front brakes are complemented by a 240mm rear disc brake with a Nissin single-piston caliper to help make sure the rider can have controlled stops.
- Both the front and rear brakes can be modulated by a compact Anti-lock Brake System (ABS)** controller to match stopping force to the available traction.
- Similar to the wheels on a GSX-S1000 model, the TRP six-spoke lightweight cast aluminum wheels are shod with Dunlop Roadsport 2 radial tires (120/70ZR17 front and 180/50ZR17 rear).
- The large diameter, matte black, tapered aluminum handlebar has a special rise and bend that is unique to the KATANA and helps contribute to the exceptional riding ergonomics. The handlebar construction damps vibration well, so the ride feels smooth at the rider’s hands.
- The KATANA’s reasonable sport riding position is set by the rider’s reach to the handlebars plus the distance between the seat and footrests, which is comfortably more than other motorcycles in its class.
- The KATANA’s satellite rear fender houses the LED license plate illumination lamp and the rear LED turn signals.
- The LCD multifunction instrument panel has a distinctive appearance and display format that is exclusive to the KATANA. The panel’s LED backlighting is adjustable so the rider can set the brightness of white lettering and graphics against the display’s black background.
- The panel includes a digital speedometer, bar-style tachometer, odometer, dual trip meters, gear position, coolant temperatures, driving range, average fuel consumption, instantaneous fuel consumption, riding range, traction control level, plus lap-timer and clock functions.
- The bar-type tachometer features a “peak-hold” function, which indicates what the peak rpm was before the engine speed began to drop. This feature helps the rider recognize the peak rpm at the last moment before downshifting. The education will help the rider develop throttle and transmission operation, which can increase motorcycle performance.
- The panel has LED indicators for the turn signals, high beam, neutral position, shift alert lights, EFI alert, traction control, and ABS alert icons, plus coolant temperature and oil pressure alerts.
- The KATANA is equipped with Suzuki’s Easy Start System that requires just a simple touch of the starter button to fire up the engine (without pulling the clutch lever if the transmission is in neutral).
- The fairing houses a vertically stacked LED headlight that has a unique, rectangular shape. To the sides of the headlight are LED position lights to improve the KATANA’s visibility to other traffic while accentuating the angular styling.
- Mounted outboard of the radiator are the front LED turn signals that have clear lenses with amber illumination. The KATANA is the first US specification Suzuki motorcycle to be equipped with LED turn signals. The new turn signals were specifically designed to comply with DOT regulations while contributing to the KATANA’s unique appearance.
- The LED tail light is mounted high at the back of the seat for excellent visibility and in key with the bike’s clean, trim tail section.
- A variety of Genuine Suzuki Accessories are available for the KATANA, such as a Meter Visor (that functions as a fly screen), Fuel Tank Pad, wheel rim decals, and more are available, plus a large selection of logo apparel.
- 12-month unlimited mileage limited warranty. Longer coverage periods with other benefits available through Suzuki Extended Protection (SEP).
2020 Suzuki Katana Photos
2020 Suzuki Katana Videos