1951 NORTON INTERNATIONAL BACKGROUND
The International was sort of the road-going version of Norton’s factory racer, the Manx. It came in two sizes: the 490 cc (500) Model 30 and the 349cc (350) Model 40. Both came with the Manx’s exotic shaft-and-bevel-gear-driven single overhead cam in a heavily-finned all-alloy top end. Because of their overhead cam configuration, which was quite rare and distinctive in the early 1950s. Because of this, the bikes, and the engines gained the nickname “Cammy Norton”. They were custom-built in the Norton factory to buyers’ specifications with different internal racing components. Privateers and factory teams alike rode Norton Internationals to numerous victories in the 1950s.