1949 ROYAL ENFIELD BULLET BACKGROUND
Royal Enfield had been building sturdy, reliable motorcycles since the turn of the century. They produced military motorcycles for the British army in both world wars. They struggled at the edge of insolvency throughout most of the 1930s but managed to hang on until the the second world war boosted their business again. After the war, they quickly settled back into civilian motorcycle production with their 350cc Model G, and 500cc Model J, both singles. The “Bullet” name was first used in 1931 and the fun never stopped. They used rigid frames and telescopic front forks. A new swing arm frame was adopted in 1948. It took a year for it to appear in the new 1949 Royal Enfield Bullet 350, and shortly after, in the Bullet 500.