With the exception of their exciting new vertical twin, the A7, BSA’s postwar lineup was pretty pedestrian. They were feeding the biggest market in England at the time: low-cost commuter bikes. While England emerged from World War II as one of the victors, they were shattered economically. So millions of returning soldiers and sailors had to find a job, a home, hopefully a wife, and transport to get to work, all in a lackluster economy. For most, cars were out of the question, so many opted for a cheap, reliable motorcycle, and BSA built lots of them.
The C10 was a 250cc side-valve (flathead) single, based on a prewar design. It was meant to be cheap to build, cheap to ride and cheap to maintain. They were ruggedly constructed, and did very well in their intended role. The BSA C10 was produced from 1938 through 1957.