BMW K75 Windscreen Fix
I was very taken with the webBikeWorld article on adjusting the K75 windscreen.
I also read the subsequent contributions regarding how to move the windshield on the BMW K75 model to improve its notorious wind-buffeting propensities.
This inspired me to invent an equivalent system for my comparatively rare example of BMW’s sporting version, the K75S model.
This I’ve achieved for a small fraction of the cost, as I haven’t had to create the complex and expensive machined parts suggested for the K75. My system may well be adaptable for other makes and models.
The K75S has 4 screw holes in the bottom half of the windshield (BMW part number 46 63 1 455 427.0) as shown in attached photo 1, instead of the two fasteners that are located well up the windshield as for the K75.
For these fixing holes I cut four 30mm lengths of 15mm external diameter stainless steel tube, and rounded off their ends, as shown in photo 2.
Long stainless steel self-tapping screws go through the shield, through these tubes, and screwed into the places where the original short screws secured the shield.
More on the Tubes
To ensure that the screws stay central in the tubes and don’t wander, I inserted lengths of solid hot-glue gun glue sticks and cut them a little proud of each end of the stainless steel tubes, after drilling these down the centre, also shown in photo 2.
Using a small soldering iron I then melted the glue to fit and affix washers to each end of the stainless steel tubes (photo 2).
To buffer these tubes, and to prevent the washers from drifting sideways off their ends, each end of the tubes was then fitted with ¾” blanking rubber grommets (photo 3). I cut two 25mm – wide strips of stainless steel as backing and support for the shield.
These can be seen in photos 10, 11, and 15; they have a thin layer of foam tape between them and the shield. It was then child’s play to insert the long stainless steel screws to hold the shield in place (photo 4).
On a test run I found that this set-up wasn’t entirely satisfactory for my height (6′ 1″), so I substituted two 20mm lengths of heavy-duty petrol tubing for the two lower stainless steel tubes (photo 5).
As may be seen from the photo at the top of the page, the reduced length in the lower support tubes has markedly altered the shield’s angle to a more upright one, which I find works better for me.
I fitted a length of tubular foam rubber between the speedo housing and the shield, to give support to the shield, to reduce its vibration, and to prevent wind from rushing through there and into my chest and helmet (photo 6).
It may be noted that in addition I’d already fitted (with only mildly satisfactory results) an anti-buffeting strip around the windshield from Saeng.com in the U.S.A.
Publication Date: September 2006
See Also: BMW K-Bike Windscreen Buffeting Fix
Owner Comments and Feedback
See details on submitting comments.