ABOVE: This 1952 Triumph TR5 has a chrome tank with a silver panel and blue pinstriping.
BELOW: This version of the same bike came with a painted take, solid silver with black pinstripes.
1952 TRIUMPH TR5 TROPHY BACKGROUND
The Triumph TR5 Trophy was produced from 1949 through 1958. It was based on the 500cc 5T Speed Twin, but modified for off-road use. The TR5 Trophy was originally intended as a trials bike, with high side-exhaust, high ground clearance and excellent handling (for the day). Legend has it that Triumph built three ‘factory specials’ out of the 5T to compete in the 1948 International Six-Day Trial. They came back with three gold medals and the manufacturers team trophy and summarily named the new bike “Trophy”.
1952 TRIUMPH TR5 TROPHY DESIGN
The TR5 Trophy used a standard 500cc vertical twin engine which had a cast iron cylinder block and removable head until 1951 when aluminum alloy barrels and heads were adopted. The two cams were driven by a straight-cut gear train on the right side of the engine. The primary chain and clutch were on the right, driving a 4-speed constant mesh gearbox with right-foot shift. The ancient rigid frame would be with us for one more year, before the arrival of the swing arm.