Kawasaki Versys Review
Kawasaki Versys Specifications
by H.B.C. for webBikeWorld.com
Owner Comments (Below)
The Kawasaki Versys Story
2008 Kawasaki Versys U.S. Overview
Kawasaki announced the availability of the Versys in
the U.S. market for 2008.
"The new 2008 Kawasaki
Versys is a machine which occupies a hard to define
sweet spot in the motorcycling universe.
Is it a
practical commuter? Long-legged urban assault
vehicle? Sportbike? Light Tourer?
The answer on all counts is a resounding Yes!
This isn’t a niche specialist but rather a
jack-of-all-trades with user-friendly versatility as one
of its many charms.
The 649cc parallel twin and the neutral handling and
light steering chassis of the Ninja 650R sportbike made
the perfect starting point for this comfortable gridlock
A swoopy gull-wing swingarm, long-travel
inverted 41 mm fork, six-spoke Superbike-inspired wheels,
adjustable-height windscreen and a comfortable cockpit
were combined to create a motorcycle that just begs to
be ridden wherever the pavement might lead."
Kawasaki Versys Features
- Aggressive styling
- Powerful parallel-twin engine
- Compact size and weight
- Long-travel suspension
- Comfortable cockpit
- 649cc parallel twin-cylinder, DOHC
engine is the most compact in its category.
- The engine is considerably smaller
than that of the Ninja 500 and helps reduce the
dimension of the entire motorcycle.
- Tuned to deliver smooth, responsive
power in the low-to mid-rpm range with exceptional
roll-on response -- ideal for negotiating city traffic.
- Triangular crank and transmission
shaft layout makes it short front to back, a
semi-dry sump oil system reduces overall engine
height, and the narrow pitch of the chrome composite
plated aluminum cylinders helps reduce engine width.
- Muffler with 3-way catalyzer and
bullet-tip opening is mounted below the engine to
help lower the center of gravity and aid weight
- 180-degree crankshaft plus balancer
shaft for extremely smooth engine operation.
- Oil jets on the connecting rod big
ends spray oil on the undersides of the pistons to
- Maintains consistent engine
temperatures for long engine life and sustained
power during hard use.
- Allows closer engine tolerances for
- Fewer external hoses because the
coolant is routed through the engine cases.
2008 U.S. Version of the Kawasaki Versys
Digital Fuel Injection (DFI)
- Utilizes 38mm Keihin throttle bodies with ECU
controlled sub throttle valves for optimum
performance and rideability.
- The sub throttles, located behind the main
throttle valves, permit the DFI system a more
precise throttle response, similar to a constant
- Automatic fast idle system makes starting and
- Precise fuel injection plus exhaust catalyzer
significantly reduce emissions Digital Capacitor
Discharge Ignition (CDI) System.
- Microprocessor controlled timing never requires
adjustment and is ultra responsive to engine needs.
- Spark plug mounted “stick” ignition coils are
compact and help reduce weight.
- Cassette style transmission means the shafts and
shift drum are in a compact layout that is easily
removed as a single unit from the case for easier
- High tensile steel trellis frame is
small and light.
- Designed using 3-dimensional
computer analysis to achieve the optimum stiffness
balance for better handling.
- Narrow at the knees and feet for
increased rider comfort and control.
Single shock Rear Suspension
- Aluminum gull-wing swingarm and
offset, laydown single rear shock complement the
frame design to create an integrated line flowing
from the steering head to the rear hub.
- Short, compact frame and engine
design allows the swingarm to be longer, which helps
improve overall handling.
- Showa shock has adjustable preload
and rebound damping and uses a free piston and
two-stage damping valves for smooth action during
initial compression that becomes much firmer near
the end of the stroke for a more planted feel.
- 41mm Inverted fork with stiff
springs combines the best of off-road and
sportbike-type suspension for excellent performance
over a wide range of conditions.
- Tapered, relatively short outer
tubes help provide the ideal stiffness balance to
compliment chassis settings.
- Fork height, preload and rebound
damping can all be adjusted to fine-tune the
suspension to specific conditions or riding style.
Triple Petal Design Brake Discs
- Petal design rotors offer improved
cooling and warp resistance.
- Same rotor design as found on the
Ninja ZX-6R and ZX-10R Supersport motorcycles.
- Also found on the Ninja ZX-6R and ZX-10R; the
six-spoke design requires much less material between
spokes so that the rim thickness is thinner and
overall wheel weight is reduced.
- Each part of the two-piece seat was
designed with a different thickness and firmness of
foam to optimize comfort for both rider and
- Passenger seat and grab bars were
designed to provide a natural seating position for
- Easy-to-read instrument panel has a
large analog tachometer and digital readout for the
speedometer, fuel gauge, odometer, dual trip meters
and clock. White LED backlighting provides increased
visibility at night.
- Three different settings, each 20mm apart,
allows riders to adjust windscreen height to suit
liquid cooled, DOHC, four-valve per
cylinder, parallel twin
|Bore x stroke: 83.0 x
|Maximum torque: 44.9
lb/ft @6,800 rpm
Digital fuel injection with two 38mm Keihin
|Ignition: Digital CDI
|Final drive: O-Ring
cradle, high-tensile steel
|Rake / trail: 25
degrees / 4.3 in.
|Wheelbase: 55.7 in.
|Front suspension /
wheel travel: 41mm hydraulic telescopic fork
with adjustable rebound and preload / 5.9
|Rear suspension /
wheel travel: Single offset laydown shock
with adjustable rebound and spring preload /
|Front tire: 120/70x17
|Rear tire: 160/60x17
|Front brake: Dual
300mm petal discs with two-piston caliper
|Rear brake: Single
220mm petal disc with single-piston caliper
|Overall length: 83.7
|Overall width: 33.1
|Overall height: 51.8
|Seat height: 33.1 in.
|Dry weight: 399 lbs.
|Fuel capacity: 5.0
|Color: Passion Red
|Warranty: 12 months
For informational use only. All material and photographs are Copyright © webWorld International, LLC since 2000.
All rights reserved. See the webBikeWorld® Site Info
. Product specifications, features and details may change or differ from our descriptions. Always check before purchasing. Read
the Terms and Conditions