Triumph Motorcycles Australia has issued a recall for 217 2019 and 2020 Street Scrambler and Street Twin models over a wiring issue.
The official notice issued through the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission says: “Misrouted harness wiring may become damaged by the lower lug on main frame headstock when the handlebars are rotated. Damaged wiring harness may cause the engine to stall, and increase the risk of injury and death of the rider or other road users in an accident.”
Owners of affected vehicles will be contacted and asked to present their motorcycle to an authorised Triumph dealers to have recall work carried out free of charge.
A new VIN label protector will be fitted to the motorcycle to prevent contact between the wiring and the headstock lug. Some motorcycles may also need a rework of the harness.
Click here to find a Triumph dealer.
The “Bonneville” range has been the subject of several embarrassing recalls since they were introduced in 2016:
- T100 and T120 for a sticky throttle;
- Triumph Street Twin, Bonneville T100 and Bonneville T100 Black, as well as the 1200cc Bonneville T120 Black, Thruxton 1200 and Thruxton 1200R models for fuel tank wiring;
- Street Cup over a hazard lights fault; and
- All recent-model Triumphs because of a missing noise label, leaving them non-compliant.
- Various 900cc and 1200cc Bonneville models recalled over faulty electrics.
- Speed Twin recalled over coolant leak.
- 2019-2020 Speed Twin recalled over a loose ball joint in the gearshift lever linkage thanks to contaminated thread locking compound.
- Thruxtons recalled over faulty side stands.
Even though manufacturers and importers usually contact owners when a recall is issued, the bike may have been sold privately to a rider unknown to the company.
Therefore, Motorbike Writer publishes all motorcycle and scooter recalls as a service to all riders.
If you believe there is an endemic problem with your bike that should be recalled, contact the ACCC on 1300 302 502.
To check whether your motorcycle has been recalled, click on these sites: