Live Report From the 2014 American International Motorcycle Expo
▪ 2015 Yamaha SR400 – Beyond retro, this one’s more original than the original.
▪ 2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000 LT and Versys 650 LT Preview – Both Versys models get a good-looking makeover with an “LT” designation and include luggage. Photos and specifications.
October 21, 2014
▪ IXS Motorcycle Clothing 2015 U.S. Debut and Preview – IXS is a worldwide brand of motorcycle clothing, coming to the U.S.A. in a big way. T
he Swiss-based family-owned company has been in business for 100 years and is the Yamaha distributor in Switzerland, so they know a thing or two about motorcycling.
This is big news, as there hasn’t been a new launch of this magnitude for motorcycle gear in the U.S. in quite some time.
This wraps up my report from the 2014 AIMExpo. The show was about 50% larger than the initial 2013 AIMExpo but the crowds seemed a bit thin and I hope that doesn’t discourage the manufacturers for next year’s show.
October 20, 2014
▪ Scorpion Helmets 2015 Preview – Scorpion has re-focused their helmet lineup with racing, touring, cruising and off-road helmets now having their own letter designations.
Lots of new products and the Scorpion reputation for quality with reasonable pricing continues.
October 19, 2014
▪ Bell Helmets 2015 Preview with new full-face helmets, a dual-sport helmet and the Moto-9 Flex with a new type of internal liner that reduces rotational forces.
▪ Buell EBR 1190SX U.S. Introduction includes a video and photos of the new “Superfighter” from AIMExpo.
October 18, 2014
▪ Ducati Scrambler U.S. Introduction includes a video and photos from the absolutely botched Scrambler intro at AIMExpo.
There were hundreds of attendees waiting outside the doors on the first morning of the AIMExpo as Greg White and Kevin Schwantz introduced the show.
At the official 10:00 am opening time, the doors open and everyone’s jockeying to get the first glimpse of the new Scramblers at the Ducati exhibit, which was strategically located right inside the entrance to be the first exhibit you viewed as the doors opened.
Ducati paid huge bucks for to be at that location, right at the front door. So the doors open and what does everyone see?
Nothing! Nada! Not a thing!
Ducati — in their infinite (NOT) wisdom — had all the Scramblers covered up with cheap tarps. So hundreds and hundreds of attendees walk by take a look, shake their heads and walk away, totally disappointed.
A huge opportunity wasted, because everyone would have instantly stopped to see the new Scramblers.
Then, to make bad matters worse, Ducati decides to wait until 3:00 pm to pull the covers off the bikes. So the Ducati booth was an empty ghost town for most of the day.
And to make matters worse, Ducati brought ZERO other bikes to see; only the tarp-covered Scramblers.
Finally, around 3:30 pm, they decide to pull the covers off the bikes to a handful of people. And by the way, they ordered up some “mood” lighting which made it nearly impossible to get good photos.
What idiocy! Whoever planned that fiasco should be fired immediately. Anyway, be glad you didn’t have to put up with it. Here are some photos and a video of the new Scramblers. Enjoy!
October 17, 2014
▪ Vintage Japanese Motorcycles (webBikeWorld Vimeo Pro video) at the 2014 AIMExpo show.
You will never see a more fantastic collection of impeccably restored vintage Japanese bikes than this, brought to you by the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club.
▪ 2015 Sidi All Road and Black Rain Boots were introduced at the 2014 AIMExpo show. They replace two of the most popular boots in the Sidi lineup, the Sidi On Road and Sidi Rain boots.
▪ 2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650 (webBikeWorld Vimeo Pro video) was introduced at the 2014 AIMExpo show. This is a walk-around video on the webBikeWorld Vimeo Pro Channel.
▪ Sena 10U and 3S Intercoms are self-contained with all of the electronics and the battery in the speaker units.
▪ Sena 10C Intercom Action Camera combines a Sena intercom with a Sena action camera for a unique new product!
▪ Sena Prism Action Camera production version is here and will start shipping soon. This is a unique camera that can be controlled by voice commands through the intercom to start and stop the video recording.
The kit comes with a huge number of mounts and accessories. Here’s an updated preview and photos of the production version and all the mounts.
October 16, 2014
▪ SCHUBERTH M1 Helmet is an open-face helmet, SCHUBERTH style with unique new intercom system available.
UPDATE: Added photos and info on the built-in intercom system for the M1 helmet.
▪ Kawasaki Ninja H2R UltraHyperSuperbike introduced to the U.S.A.
▪ 2015 Motorcycles: A Quick Look
Here’s a list of motorcycles introduced at the recent Intermot show. All of them are interesting and some of them will make it to the U.S.A. Don’t know how many will show up at AIMExpo.
October 15, 2014
▪ Ducati Testastretta DVT Engine coindicentally announced today, a new Ducati Desmo engine with variable valve timing.
Starting on Thursday, October 16, I’ll be reporting live from the AIMExpo show in Orlando, Florida. Like last year, I’ll be posting quick updates from the show on the webBikeWorld Twitter feed, along with the webBikeWorld Facebook page and the webBikeWorld Google+ page. Reports will start later in the day (EDT) on Thursday.
If you don’t have a Facebook account, you can also view the webBikeWorld Facebook posts on this webBikeWorld page. I will then follow up with more detailed reports, photos and videos of all the new products for 2014.
NOTE: If you have a special request for photos and/or info on a product you’d like to see, let me know via email or the wBW Facebook or Google+ page and I’ll see what I can do!
What Is It?
The American International Motorcycle Expo started exactly one year ago. The promoters took a chance, hoping that the show would eclipse the Dealer Expo and become the “EICMA of the U.S.A.”.
The results at the inaugural event were fantastic and this year, many more displays and participants will be in attendance.
You’ll get to see the U.S. introduction of the new and exciting Ducati Scrambler (Preview), the supercharged Kawasaki Ninja H2 and the Suzuki V-Strom 650 (Slide Show) and other new 2015 motorcycles like the Kawasaki Versys 1000 and 650 redesigns; the Suzuki V-Strom 650XT and more.
I’m also scheduled to get a laser noggin scan for a custom-fitted Bell Star helmet (review) and I’ll tell you all about it. If they can actually fit something to my bulb-shaped dome, it will truly be a miracle!
The AIMExpo event was developed as a counterpoint to the long-running Powersports Dealer Expo, traditionally held in February in Indianapolis.
The motivation was to create a motorcycle dealer show that introduces new products to the dealers in the Fall, so that dealers could see next year’s products and place their orders in time for the manufacturers to make the stuff during the winter.
The 2013 AIMExpo (Report) was a phenomenal success and this year’s show will be much bigger. And by the way, the event is open to the public during the October 18-19 weekend!
AIMExpo Event Schedule
The AIMExpo show starts with Press Days on Thursday, October 16 and Friday.
It runs through Sunday, October 19 at the Orange County Convention Center on International Drive in Orlando. For more information, visit the AIMExpo website.
Be sure to check the webBikeWorld home page, this page (the page you’re reading now) and our Twitter, Facebook and Google+ feeds for live updates from the show, starting this Wednesday.
The 2014 AIMExpo show will be an exciting event with lots of interesting news!
Owner Comments and Feedback
See details on submitting comments.
Other WebBikeWorld Articles Posts