One of the common questions I receive about helmets and helmet brands is a pretty basic. I don’t mean “basic” as in the “everybody should know this” kind of basic. What I mean is that when I first started riding a motorcycle myself and learning the “basics” of riding and basics of helmet and gear safety; I had the same thought. I think we all do. There are expensive helmets made by big companies, and the question of “Is a more expensive helmet safer?” is worth exploring.
Canyon Chasers is a motorcycle adventure company with over 22 years of experience (more than me!) and I think that they have done a great job with this question:
Now if you don’t have the time to check out a quick video here is a cheat sheet:
- “Do you get what you pay for?”
- If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet.
- Narrowing the question down to a single type of motorcycle helmet; one piece full faced helmet.
- Legal Answer = Well, it’s complicated.
- Plain Answer = Probably. 🙂